Monday, March 28, 2011
A Wichita teen is recovering after smoking potpourri. It's the latest in a string of cases of kids becoming sick from the new fad.
Wichita police say they are concerned about the use of the potpourri by teens. They aren't just putting it in a bowl for the aroma, they are smoking it.
Over the weekend, a 19-year-old from south Wichita says he bought the potpourri called 'Head Trip' at a store at Seneca and Harry. He said within minutes of smoking it, he started vomiting. He ended up in the hospital. Police say just because potpourri is legal, doesn't mean it's safe for human consumption.
"While it may be legal to possess and use it," said Wichita Police Captain Randy Landen, " it's still not safe physically to use them like they use marijuana."
When we asked to talk to the owner of the only smoke store at that intersection we were told to leave the property. The owner said he doesn't carry 'Head Trip.' Police in Salina and Hutchinson say they too are seeing cases of teens getting very sick from smoking the potpourri.