Fund Set Up For Homicide Victim

By: KAKE News Email
By: KAKE News Email

Stay up-to-date with KAKE News:

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Between 2 and 3 o'clock Sunday morning, two men forced their way into the residence of Leonard Hecox. One of the men had a previous feud with Hecox.

Hecox fled the home and the two men left. Hecox's long-time girlfriend called a friend to come over the house.

Once Hecox returned, he argued for several hours with his girlfriend and her friend.

Around 7 a.m., the two women called a male friend, that was also an acquaintance of Hecox, to come over and pick them up.

When the man came to the residence to pick the women up, he got into a verbal altercation with the Hecox, which led to the stabbing.

The two women witnessed the stabbing and left without calling police. Neighbors called 9-1-1 to report a man laying on the front yard just before noon on Sunday.

The 55-year-old male suspect has been booked for suspicion of second degree murder. Police are presenting the evidence to the district attorney on Thursday.

The two men involved in the earlier altercation are no longer suspects in the homicide. One of the men was booked on Sunday for burglary charges and the other had an outstanding warrant.

A fund has been set up to pay for Hecox' funeral. Donations can be sent to;

Leonard Hecox Fund
c/o Cessna Employee Credit Union
4 Cessna Boulevard
Wichita, KS 67215


March 20th, 2011

Police found a body outside a South Wichita home and say it’s the city’s latest homicide.

The death was reported in the 2500 block of south Bennett just before noon Sunday. Police have questioned dozens of witnesses in the case, but say they have not identified a suspect.

The man, identified as 44-year-old Leonard Hecox, was found stabbed to death in the front yard of his home.

"When officers arrived, they found a man slumped over in the front yard, apparently that had been there for a little while. Neighbors had called it in and waited a little while to call 9-1-1," said Sgt. Mark Jackson of the Wichita Police.

Investigators say Hecox may have been involved in a disturbance sometime between 1 and 3 o'clock in the morning, but was not stabbed until later in the morning. Witnesses waited until noon to call police.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KAKE TV 1500 N. West Street Wichita, KS 67203-1323 (316) 943-4221
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 118331659 -
Gray Television, Inc.