Monday, July 2, 2012
The playground at Rae Woodman Elementary is unusable after a fire Friday night and the school district says kids playing with fireworks are to blame.
The fire caused about $60,000 worth of damage and a representative with the school district says insurance will probably only cover some of the damage.
A representative with the school district says a witness spotted kids lighting fire works near the playground and then saw them run away after the fire started.
“I’m sure they panicked, whoever did this, but I also hope they're held responsible in some way because you've got to be responsible when you're dealing with fireworks,” USD 259 Communications Specialist Susan Arnesman said.
Fire investigators found used fireworks all around the school yard and say one of them must have landed in the rubber mulch on the playground. Investigators say once the rubber caught fire, it burned fast and quickly spread to the plastic play equipment.
“There's a tunnel between the two sets of stairs - it's gone completely. It's melted, it's gone,” Sunshine Davis said about the playground just across the street from her house.
While the playground won't be safe to play on for the rest of summer, it should be fixed by the time school starts.
Fire investigators say they spoke with the Board of Education security, but the school's security cameras didn't catch anything that could help them find out who was playing with fireworks and started the fire. They say they do believe it was an accident and hope those is responsible will come forward.