Christmas Lights Likely Start Garage Fire

By: Ryan Rubi Email
By: Ryan Rubi Email

Stay up-to-date with KAKE News:

One Haysville family's holiday season began with a fiery start when their Christmas lights likely caused a garage fire early this morning.

Haysville homeowner Richard Dickson said he and his son spent the day putting up the lights around their garage. But at about 1:30 a.m., Dickson woke up to the smell of smoke through his home in the 1200 Blk. of Dirck Street.

Dickson started his search for the cause of the smoke and found it when he opened his garage door. He didn't think twice when he said he grabbed his grandson, left the home and called 911.

"I'm not going to try to put it out with a garden hose," Dickson said.

Moments later, the first arriving crews of Sedgwick County Fire showed up at the house. John Troyer, Sedgwick County Fire captain, said they found flames shooting out from the top of the garage door. The fire was out about 15 minutes later.

Troyer said early indications point to Dickson's Christmas lights as the cause to the fire. Dickson said he noticed the wiring was worn when he hung up the lights earlier in the day.

Dickson is grateful crews arrived to minimize damage to his home. Troyer said the blaze only caused between $3,000 to $4,000 in damage to the structure. No contents inside the garage were damaged.

"They've all been wonderful," Dickson said of fire crews. "I think I need to buy a lottery ticket tonight. I'm awful lucky."

Troyer said people who are attaching Christmas lights to a building need to be careful.

He advises people to make sure they don't staple any wires, overload any circuits and follow the manufacturer's instructions.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KAKE TV 1500 N. West Street Wichita, KS 67203-1323 (316) 943-4221
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 34979129 - kake.com/a?a=34979129