Community Helping Families Displaced By Apartment Fire

By: Lily Wu - Email
By: Lily Wu - Email

Stay up-to-date with KAKE News:

Friday, August 26, 2011

The local Red Cross and managers at the High Point East apartments are helping the 23 families displaced by Thursday's fire.

Five-year-old Danielle Price's toys, piggy bank, and her pets were lost in the fire.

"I don't have nothing to do, nothing to play with. I don't have nothing to run around with said," said Danielle Price, as tears ran down her face.

Her family was one of the 23 affected by the fire. Now, they're trying to figure out what to do next.

"For a lot of these people, Red Cross is what happens next. People who have been affected by this fire, we certainly encourage them to call Red Cross at 219-4000," said James Williams, spokesperson for the local Red Cross.

Every belonging inside the apartment building is either burned or damaged by smoke and water. Only six of those families had renters insurance.

"You're not required to get renters insurance but we urge people to get it. Things like this, we never expected this to happen," said Alicia Friedel, assistant manager at the High Point East apartments.

Investigators said a cigarette discarded in a plastic bucket on an apartment balcony was to blame for the fire.

The apartment managers are hoping to collect donations for the 23 displaced families. All donations can be dropped off at the apartment offices, 9400 East Lincoln Street. For more information, you can call 685-4328.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KAKE TV 1500 N. West Street Wichita, KS 67203-1323 (316) 943-4221
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 128488193 - kake.com/a?a=128488193