Friday, February 6, 2009
Fire sparked an early morning wake up call at an apartment complex near downtown.
Fire investigators say a person who fell asleep with a cigarette on his sofa caused the fire at the Commodore Apartments at about 4 a.m. in the 200 Blk. of E. Elm.
When fire crews arrived, they say they found flames shooting out of the 7th floor apartment. They quickly called for a second and third crew to assist. The fire was out in about 20 minutes.
Crews quickly evacuated about 20 people from the top two floors of the eight story building, but nearly all residents are back inside. The resident whose furniture caught on fire will be forced to find a temporary place to live.
No one was hurt in the blaze. Fire damage is estimated at $40,000.