Thursday, January 22, 2009
Todd and Kristin Johnson had only been in their brand new home six months when they noticed mold growing on a window seal.
After further investigation they discovered condensation inside all the outer walls.
"We knew that we had to get it fixed right then and there, but the thing that was in my mind how many houses are out there," said Todd Johnson.
The Johnsons discovered a plastic vapor barrier, called the Visqueen Vapour Barrier, was installed between the insulation and the sheet rock.
The Johnsons and some building experts believe that's what trapped the moisture. But there was no one to hold accountable. The county codes require vapor barriers.
The Johnsons have spent tens of thousands of dollars redoing their entire house. The county building code enforcer tells KAKE News he would recommend using a product that breathes, not a plastic barrier.