Wichita firefighters called to the 5100 block of S. Hydraulic late Friday night say a blaze in a mobile home killed an elderly man. The investigation revealed that the man was smoking while on oxygen.
The fire broke out around 9:15 Friday evening. Neighbors reported smoke coming from the home's doors and windows and called for help. Emergency crews also say a roommate came home to find the fire, but was unable to get inside to help the 64-year-old victim.
Firefighters went inside the home, where they found the man lying in the living room near a bed. He was pulled from the home and rushed to a hospital where doctors pronounced him dead.
No one else was home at the time and no other injuries were reported.
The man's name has not been released pending notification of his family. The victim is the first fire-related death in Wichita this year.