Boa Constrictors Killed In Duplex Fire

By: KAKE News Email
By: KAKE News Email

Stay up-to-date with KAKE News:

Friday, August 27, 2010

UPDATE

A 6-year-old boy runs for help after his home goes up in flames. It happened around 6:00 Friday morning at a home on the 100 block of N. Charles Street in West Wichita. Two pet snakes died in the fire.

Fire crews arrived after an alarming wake-up call for Dan Cronin, when his 6-year-old grandson began banging on his door for help.

"I knew there was something wrong for him to be beating on the door at that time," said Cronin, who lives next door to his son and grandson. "I come running out, fire was coming out of the windows, so I just immediately called 911."

The child reportedly woke up his babysitter after the fire started, as his father was at work. Investigators believe the boy accidentally sparked the blaze while playing with a lighter.

"We really had a lot of fire showing when we got here. Crews got up there and got into the fire bedroom really quick," said Wichita Fire Capt. Mark Baker.

While five people inside the duplex made it out safely, two pet snakes died in the fire.

"One of the occupants said we did have two large boa constrictors on the second floor," said Baker.

Despite the loss, and around $80,000 in damage, Cronin and his family say they're grateful everyone is safe. He also says he can't imagine what would have happened if the 6-year-old boy hadn't gone for help.

"That I'd really rather not think about because it could have been a lot worse than what it was," said Cronin.

----

Two boa constrictors have died in a fire in West Wichita.

The fire started at about 6:00 Friday morning in the 100 block of North Charles. Firefighters saw flames and smoke coming from a second story bedroom.

Fire crews were able to get the fire under control and keep it primarily contained to the upper level of the building.

Everyone made it out of the home safely however, two boa constrictors being kept on the second floor were missing. "One of the occupants said we do have two large boa constrictors on the second floor we just let crews know about that in case they ran into those", said Wichita Fire Captain Mark Baker.

Firefighters later found the snakes. The snakes died in the fire.

Damage is estimated around $80,000 and investigators believe the fire started as a result of the 6-year-old boy playing with a lighter.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KAKE TV 1500 N. West Street Wichita, KS 67203-1323 (316) 943-4221
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 101638078 - kake.com/a?a=101638078