Tuesday, March 9, 2010
Via Christi is hosting TransForum, a free health expo that will offer health screenings and activities for whole family from 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. Saturday, March 27, at the Century II Expo Hall.
Some of the many activities geared toward adults and seniors that will take place throughout the day include:
• Blood pressure checks
• Hearing and balance screenings
• Heart attack, fitness, nutrition and stress risk assessments and experts
• Cooking, Tai Chi and Wii Fit demonstrations
• $5 general and low-cost customized blood screens
Kids activities will include:
• A "teddy bear" Emergency Department that will provide treatment to kids' stuffed animals and dolls – be sure to bring your own
• Birth to 5 years developmental screening
• Safe Kids Worldwide's interactive display demonstrating child safety in and around cars
• Simulated home fire situations at Fire House, a display designed to teach fire safety to parents and kids alike
• 9-1-1 simulator that helps kids practice for a real-life emergency
Other activities will include a chance to walk through a mock labor and delivery room at the new Via Christi Hospital that will open at 14800 W. St. Teresa in August; tour a virtual minimally invasive surgical suite; climb inside a helicopter and other vehicles used for medical transport; visit with staff in a special careers section; and drawings for prizes throughout the day.