Monday, July 20, 2009
United Way of the Plains is now taking calls, July 20 – 24, to set up appointments for the Laid-Off Workers Center’s July session. To set up an appointment, individuals must call United Way’s information number by dialing 2 1 1 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. (this is a toll-free number).
For those having difficulties dialing 2-1-1 through their phone provider, dial the alternative number 1-888-413-4327. The deadline to call for an appointment for the August session is Friday, July 24. The center will be open on a monthly basis as needed beyond August.
To qualify for help through the Laid-Off Workers Center, laid-off workers must:
• Pre-register to set up an appointment by calling the United Way’s information number 2-1-1;
• Have been laid off and approved for unemployment compensation sometime since October 1, 2008 (not fired, quit, or on medical leave);
• Show that they have emergency financial needs and have insufficient personal resources to adequately provide food, clothing and/or shelter; and
• Have been laid off from a job in Sedgwick, Butler or Sumner counties, or lived in those counties at the time of the layoff, between Oct. 1, 2008, and the present.
Services at the Laid-Off Workers Center will include:
• Emergency financial assistance for those who qualify (mortgage/rent, electric, gas and water). Checks will be written directly to the lender, landlord or utility company.
• Budget and debt management counseling
• Arrangements for utility bill payment plans
• Help applying for government programs
• Job training and job search assistance
• Continuing education information
• Gas cards
• Food assistance
• Community volunteering information
• On-site child care services during the appointment